Summertime is moving our way, which means fun in the sun and much-needed relaxation time. Before hitting the beach or hopping on a plane to embark upon your much anticipated great adventure, don’t lose sight of how important it is to keep helpful habits that rarely fail to amplify your gut health. With temperatures rising and exhaustion on the incline, your gut health is likely to get burned out during the summer. At Metropolitan Gastroenterology Associates, our gastrointestinal physicians have set our goal to bring you the treatment and knowledge you need and deserve in order to benefit from a healthy digestive system. Flip the proverbial page as our New Orleans, LA team explains the best practices to maximize your gut health all summer long.
What is it about summer that is hard on gut health?
The summer months are known to be brutal on your gut wellness, making a healthy gut have trouble and any pre-existing GI problems worse. A few of the primary factors that can open the door to poor gut health and problematic GI symptoms, like constipation, diarrhea, vomiting and nausea, are:
- Dehydration: High temps mean your body consumes fluids to stay cool at a higher rate, and you might not be maintaining pace in replenishing lost fluids.
- Lack of consistent eating habits: If you’re traveling or treating yourself to summer indulgences, it can prove difficult to think ahead to plans for a healthy meal.
- Fatigue: Summer past-times might leave you with a shortage of energy, which in turn, impacts your digestive health.
If you suffer from a pre-existing GI problem, monitoring your summertime carefully can mean the difference between summer months of healthy relaxation and a vacation spent in abject misery. To learn more about ways to manage your individual GI issues, get in touch with any one of our skilled GI specialists in New Orleans, LA.
How do I sustain good digestive health over the summertime?
With some thoughtful planning, a person can ensure a healthy digestive system throughout the summer. Revel in your vacations or relaxing pool days comfortable in the fact that you are taking measures to make certain your gut also has a fabulous time. A partial list of the simplest ways you can keep up your summer health are:
- Drink plenty of water: Remain hydrated, specifically in the event that you are spending time in the sun and sweating a lot. Dehydration may cause constipation, among additional bothersome digestive woes.
- Eat foods rich in fiber: Eat some dark green vegetables and add some scrumptious summer fruits in your diet to supplement your fiber consumption, which assists digestion.
- Try probiotics: Your gut houses a precise level of good bacteria. One way you can power charge your digestive health is by lending support to those helpful bacteria with probiotic foods and supplements.
- Plan healthy meals: All of those summer indulgences like barbeque, soda, and ice cream may be enjoyable in moderation, but remember to arrange ahead of time for nutritious dinners to avoid forcing your gut into overdrive.
- Get a good amount of exercise: Watch out for extreme heat or humidity warnings, but a leisurely jog in your neighborhood during sunset is a great way to ensure your gut stays active.
When should you consult with a specialist regarding digestive health?
If you experience any of the symptoms listed below persistently during your summertime celebrations, it is time to seek a Metropolitan Gastroenterology Associates physician to assist you in identifying the root at your earliest opportunity:
- Pain in your abdomen
- Chronic diarrhea
- Difficulty passing stool
- Chronic heartburn
If you suffer from blood in your stool, you should seek a gastroenterology specialist in New Orleans, LA immediately.
Maintain a healthy summer digestive system
The summer months can push your digestive system to labor harder to keep your body healthy and functioning properly. Give your gut the gift of good health during the summertime, and make sure to practice healthy habits that will make sure you don’t have to waste a second of your summer feeling under the weather. Should you need help or support managing a GI problem over the summer, don’t delay in reaching out to our practice to identify a GI specialist in New Orleans, LA. Our physician-led network of gastroenterologists is devoted to providing patient-centric treatment to people exactly like you. Reach out to Metropolitan Gastroenterology Associates at your earliest convenience to hear more.