Troublesome symptoms, such as abdominal pain, chronic diarrhea, or unintentional weight loss, can be more than a mere annoyance. If you have persistent indications of poor digestive health, you could be affected by a serious gastrointestinal condition. It’s important to never neglect the signs of poor GI health. Should you have symptoms that are unusual, such as a fluctuation in bowel movements or cravings for certain foods, discuss it with an experienced gastroenterology specialist in New Orleans, LA. By talking with a doctor at Metropolitan Gastroenterology Associates, you can learn about conditions involving your gastrointestinal tract and learn how to enhance your overall well-being.
What are common symptoms of an unhealthy gut?
It’s not uncommon to have an occasional stomach ache or experience heartburn from time to time. Persistent trouble with gastrointestinal system issues may indicate that something is impacting your digestive health. Should you notice any of these symptoms persistently, it may be a sign of an unhealthy gut:
- Skin allergies/irritations: Inflammatory skin concerns, including acne, eczema, and psoriasis, have been connected to GI health.
- Mood fluctuations: Depression and anxiety may be a result of an unhealthy gut.
- Migraines: Severe headaches might indicate that a problem is occurring in the gastrointestinal system, especially if nausea and vomiting also occur.
- Autoimmune conditions: An imbalance in digestive bacteria can initiate issues with autoimmune diseases.
- Fatigue: Experiencing exhaustion all the time can be related to trouble with nutritional absorption in the gut.
- Changes in stool: If you have noticed a change in the color or consistency of your stool, like if you experience loose or light-colored stools, then it might be time to investigate with a medical provider.
- Food cravings: Yearnings for certain foods, such as sugar, can be a sign of an imbalance in gut bacteria or nutritional deficiency.
- Stomach discomfort: Ongoing bloating, gas, or constipation could be a sign that your gastrointestinal tract is having trouble digesting food and getting rid of waste products.
- Unexplained weight changes: An unexplained, abrupt gain or loss in weight could mean your body is struggling to store fat, absorb nutrients, or eliminate waste.
In the event you notice any of the above signs or symptoms, or other concerning symptoms, such as repetitive acid reflux or blood in your stool, please get in touch with one of our GI specialists in New Orleans, LA to have your gastrointestinal health assessed.
What diseases or conditions might lead to poor gastrointestinal health?
The issues or symptoms you experience could be a sign of a serious GI health disease or condition. Some of the diseases that can result in the signs and symptoms featured above include:
- Celiac disease: The way in which the body’s immune system responds to gluten results in damage to the small intestine.
- Inflammatory bowel disease: Conditions like ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease result in inflammation in the digestive tract.
- Cancer: GI cancers, such as colon or rectal cancer and stomach cancer, can lead to severe issues in the digestive system.
How can I improve my gut health?
Though it is essential to practice healthy habits, it is recommended that you talk with a physician if you are experiencing issues linked to an unhealthy gut. A Metropolitan Gastroenterology Associates doctor can identify whether a more serious issue needs to be assessed or if lifestyle changes can help you elevate your gut health. Any of the following factors might be suggested by your doctor:
- Get regular exercise
- Identify food intolerances
- Increase the fiber in your diet
- Get 7 – 8 hours of sleep each night
- Include probiotics in your diet
- Consume plenty of water
- Quit smoking
Get help for poor GI health in New Orleans, LA
If you notice signs or symptoms of poor gastrointestinal health, it can indicate a concerning condition. We urge you to not disregard the signs your body is sending you through an upset stomach, food cravings, and unintentional weight changes. To best understand and detect any digestive disorders, you can connect with a digestive health specialist in New Orleans, LA. To locate an experienced gastroenterologist near you, reach out to Metropolitan Gastroenterology Associates. When you partner with our team, you can receive patient-focused services to help you improve and manage your digestive wellness which, in turn, could help you enjoy a better quality of living.