You go to your primary doctor for your annual tests, so why do you need a gastrointestinal doctor? Many reasons!
A gastrointestinal doctor has a specialty: Your digestive system. And your digestive system includes your esophagus all the way where your food travels through everything in your digestive tract…to its exit.
That means a gastroenterologist is more well-versed in every tiny nuance of your gastrointestinal system and is up-to-speed on every in-the-minute cause and treatment option. Your gastrointestinal doctor can often diagnose and treat those issues more efficiently than your primary doctor, because your gastrointestinal doctor has all the tools at their disposal.
Plus it always helps to know where to go when you have stomach pain, instead of waiting for it to get better (which can make things worse).
When you’d see a gastrointestinal doctor
- Whenever you have pain in your throat, like difficulty swallowing or a burning down your throat, a gastrointestinal doctor can help.
- Anytime your stomach hurts after eating – whether from ulcers, indigestion or from something like Celiac Disease or lactose intolerance – a gastrointestinal doctor can help.
- If you get frequent heartburn, acid reflux or GERD, a gastrointestinal doctor can help.
- Sudden weight loss (when you aren’t actively dieting or exercising frequently) means something is amiss, and a gastrointestinal doctor can help.
- Bowel movement concerns – including diarrhea and constipation – that occur persistently can indicate an issue that a gastrointestinal doctor can help.
- Any bleeding from the rectum isn’t normal and should be investigated…so a gastrointestinal doctor can help.
- Plus when you turn 45 (or have a family history or risk factors for colon cancer), you’ll need a colonoscopy from a gastrointestinal doctor.
A gastrointestinal doctor can work with you to keep your colon healthy (and you can use these 6 Tips for a Healthy Colon to get started) and reduce your pain and discomfort.
Metro Detroit Gastrointestinal Specialists, P.C. can help!
Schedule your appointment today with Gastrointestinal Specialists, P.C., and let us talk with you about your gastrointestinal concerns. We can figure out what’s causing you pain and get you on the path to feeling better!