A person’s gastrointestinal tract is among the most essential structures in the body because it contains such critical organs as the esophagus, and stomach, pancreas, gallbladder, and intestines. Dysfunction in the digestive tract can affect the way the body is nourished and excretes waste. If you’ve been having digestive trouble or are noticing signs of gastrointestinal disease, it may be time to visit a gastrointestinal (GI) specialist. Metropolitan Gastroenterology Associates is a dependable source for digestive health care and proudly serves patients throughout the New Orleans, LA region.
What does a gastroenterologist treat?
A gastroenterologist is a physician who specializes in treating diseases and conditions that impact the digestive tract and liver. A GI doctor helps support a person’s gastrointestinal wellness and provides care for GI concerns, like:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Fatty liver (hepatic steatosis)
- Colorectal polyps and colorectal cancer
- Heartburn (gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease)
- Celiac disease and non-celiac gluten intolerance
When to see a doctor for digestive problems
Most individuals experience minor GI issues at times. But when abdominal discomfort, difficulty swallowing, chronic heartburn, irregular bowel habits, or other symptoms persist, it’s essential to book a consultation with a gastroenterologist specialist for an evaluation. It’s also important to visit a GI doctor for preventive care and colon cancer screenings beginning as early as age 45.
How to identify a qualified gastroenterologist near me
Locating the right GI doctor for your needs may be challenging, but Metropolitan Gastroenterology Associates in New Orleans, LA is available to assist. We’ve provided some helpful tips on how to locate a gastroenterology physician near you.
- Seek a recommendation from your primary care practitioner. Because they’re your first line of defense for any health conditions you experience, your general medicine doctor is a great resource for local GI specialists.
- Ask your friends or family for suggestions. If someone in your life also has digestive conditions, they might guide you toward a reliable New Orleans, LA gastrointestinal specialist. Find out from your relatives and friends who they visit for their GI concerns as well as colon cancer screenings.
- Search your insurance carrier’s directory for an in-network gastroenterology physician. To help keep your health costs reasonable, search your insurance carrier’s system or call your insurance coverage representative for a directory of nearby gastrointestinal doctors.
- Check your GI specialist’s training. Before reserving an appointment with a gastroenterologist, make sure to do some investigation into their expertise and education. Learn where they acquired their education and how long they have been in practice. Additionally, research patient reviews to find out what others have to say about the care received from a specific GI physician.
- Book a consultation. When you have paired down your search substantially, call your selected gastroenterology physician and arrange a consultation. During your visit, pay attention to the way they communicate with you and how they make you feel. Choosing a doctor who focuses on your comfort and welfare can allow you to feel comfortable and more relaxed when receiving care.
Need to find a GI doctor in New Orleans, LA?
Working with an experienced GI physician can help you protect your gastrointestinal health and wellness. The physicians at Metropolitan Gastroenterology Associates maintain a patient-centered philosophy toward gastrointestinal health and are committed to providing you with outstanding service. For more information or to reserve a treatment consultation, please contact our New Orleans, LA gastroenterology practice.